x 5 Star Reviews Site
Slide 1
Pamela N. Breedlove

Pamela N. Breedlove has been licensed to practice law in Louisiana and Georgia since 1992. The first fifteen years of her practice was primarily litigation oriented, including medical malpractice defense, commercial litigation, defense of municipalities and individual employees against federal and state constitutional and tort claims, employment litigation, family law, successions, and general litigation.

Slide 1
Civil & Family Mediation

Mediation provides an opportunity to settle legal disputes without traditional litigation. It saves time and money, and in many cases, makes it possible to continue relationships once a dispute is resolved. This is why mediation is such a popular option for resolving civil and family disputes.

Slide 1
Police & Fire Civil Service Law

Police and firefighters are viewed as authority figures in every community. They risk their lives to protect those of the citizens. Unfortunately, police officers and firefighters sometimes are accused of making mistakes and need legal representation.

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow

How Can I Disinherit a Forced Heir in Louisiana?

Forced heirship is one of the most complicated and confusing aspects of estate law in Louisiana. There are several different situations where an individual can be a forced heir: a child under the age of 24 at the time of your death, a minor who is incapable or incapacitated at the time of your death, an incapacitated grandchild with a parent who has passed away before you, or a grandchild under the age of 24 at the time of your death with a parent who has already passed away.

Not every individual who has a forced heir wants to keep it that way. Under Louisiana estate law, you can disinherit a forced heir in specific situations. In order to do this, you must put it in writing, identify the forced heir, and list the cause. There are eight specific situations where you can stop forced heirship for a child or grandchild.

If the child is guilty of attempting to kill you, cruel treatment towards you, raising a hand to you or actually striking you, accusing you of a crime which could be punishable by death or life in prison, using coercion or violence to stop you from making a will, getting married while a minor without your permission, hasn’t contacted you in two years or more without just cause, or has been convicted of a crime where the punishment is death or life in prison, you may move to disinherit this forced heir.

As you can see, there are specific requirements in Louisiana that must be met in order to disinherit a forced heir. If you are concerned about forced heirship regarding a child or grandchild, review these stipulations with a Louisiana estate planning attorney to determine whether you meet the grounds to disinherit this individual.